Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Starlight, Starbright



My baby boy is six months today. A whole half a year! How did it happen? I suppose time marches on, regardless of our willingness or awareness of its audacity. Six months ago there was suddenly upon my chest a squirmy, squawling, beautiful boy that I could hardly believe was my very own son. As soon as I lay eyes on him, my heart did a flip-flop and was inevitably captured. The only way I know to describe the feeling at that moment is that I knew there was nothing in the world that could ever make me stop loving him. My beautiful Elisha Aaron.

My love for him only grows with each day. He is such a little miracle. As he reaches for anything in front of him now and picks it up, concentrating so hard on what he is doing, then looks up at me with a triumphant look that shouts of his excitement for life, or when he catches me watching him and his face squishes up into a joyous and contagious smile, I can still hardly believe he is real and so very perfect. I can only thank God every day for this wonderful gift with which he has entrusted us.


I have been reading a lot lately. Tonight I finished In Search of Eden by Linda Nichols. It is a beautiful book with a wonderfully-crafted plot about forgiveness and finding one's "Eden"- in this case, a long lost child, but also, a symbol of perfect peace and paradise. I thoroughly enjoyed it and will definitely be looking for more books by the author. Here is a particularly thought-proking quote from the book.

"Part of her cried out to run, but another part, just as obstinate, sat down and refused to budge. It was funny what made her decide. The little spiky rock, the meteor her father had given her, was on the bedside table. She picked it up and ran her fingers over the sharp surface. She thought about a meteor, flaring swiftly across the sky, illuminating and taking the breath away for one brief moment on its journey. She set it down and went to the window and looked out at the night sky. It as full of bright stars, shining softly, giving light, and she knew then the difference between the two."

Which are you? How do you view life? A meteor shining gloriously for a few short moments and then disappearing as fast as it had come, or a star shedding soft light each and every night?

Food for thought.

No comments: