Thursday, October 15, 2009

Tae-bo, Chili and Cold Weather

My husband is a huge tae-bo fan. He has at least a dozen videos/DVDs of Billy Blanks himself, teaching and leading the martial arts/dance combo with high-octane music and energy.

One day this week when we both had woken up early and Elisha was still asleep, he convinved me to try one of the videos with him. I loved it! I continued onto Day 2 and today, Day 3, trying three different work-outs. It is intense. Close to the hardest workout I've ever done. But I enjoy it. I feel newly motivated to get back to my pre-baby self.

Yesterday the turn of the weather inspired me to throw together my Black Bean n Pumpkin Chili. I've already had one request for the recipe (shout out to Julie!), so I thought I would post it here :). It is a delicious body-warmer that will fill you up and delight your tastebuds!

Black Bean 'n' Pumpkin Chili Recipe
Photo by: Taste of Home

Prep: 20 min.
Cook: 4 hours

Ingredients
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium sweet yellow pepper, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 cups chicken broth
2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
2-1/2 cups cubed cooked turkey
1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
2 teaspoons chili powder
1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions
In a large skillet, saute the onion, yellow pepper and garlic in oil until tender. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker; stir in the remaining ingredients.
Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until heated through. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).

This can also be prepared in just a regular pot instead of slow cooker if you are short on time. It will go together quickly and simmer wonderfully on the stove until you are ready to eat.

*******

Today the temperature was a balmy 40 degrees. It's only October! When did winter decide it was time to move in? I much prefer the warmer weather.. or at least that of fall! We are learning to bundle Elisha up and make sure he stays warm. I'm excited for the holidays to come with him, though! Also, it looks like his cousin and aunt and uncle will be around this winter- they're moving home from Kansas City, Missouri. How great! We have missed them a lot- my brother-in-law and his wife.

Tonight is Mexican Lasagna with Chicken, Corn and Black Beans. I love cooking out of Taste of Home magazines~ endless inspiration and healthy and delicious meals.

Be blessed today!

No comments: